- K53 is the term for the current driver licence test.
- The number given to the test was based on proposals submitted in the 1980's and then the reworked versions were upgraded numerically.
- Test number K53 was finally accepted as the way to test aspirant drivers.
- This test fully involved / included / incorporated the System of Vehicle control.
- The K53 test is, in fact, a copy of what was done in the UK in the 1980's.
LAW / REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE K53 LICENCE TEST
National Road Traffic Act, 1996
National Road Traffic Regulations, 1999
Chapter V : Fitness of Drivers
Part II : Learner's and driving licences
107. Manner and contents on which applicant for driving licence to be examined
- An applicant for a driving licence shall be examined and tested by an examiner for driving licences.
- The examiner for driving licences shall by observation, inquiry and practical test, satisfy himself or herself that the applicant –
- holds a learner's licence which authorises him or her to drive the class of motor vehicle to which his or her application relates;
- knows and understands the road traffic signs;
- has a sound knowledge of the rules of the road and the different signals which a driver of a motor vehicle is required to give when driving on a public road;
- is not subject to any disqualification referred to in section 15 of the Act read with regulation 102; and
- is generally capable of driving a motor vehicle of the class to which the application relates.
- In the case where a person applies for a driving licence which authorises him or her to drive an articulated motor vehicle, or a combination of a motor vehicle and trailer, the practical test shall be conducted while the semi-trailer is attached to the truck-tractor, or the trailer is attached to the drawing vehicle, whichever the case may be.
- For the purposes of subregulation (2) an applicant shall not be required to undergo a written test.
- An examiner for driving licences shall in compliance with the provisions of paragraph (e) of subregulation (2) –
- in the case of a code B driving licence, test an applicant according to the manual of the Corporation "K 53 Practical driving test for motor vehicle drivers, Volume 1 - Light Motor Vehicles" published by the chief executive officer by notice in the Gazette;
- in the case of a code C1, C, EB, EC1 or EC driving licence, test an applicant according to the manual of the Corporation "K53 Practical driving test for motor vehicle drivers, Volume 2 - Heavy Motor Vehicles", published by the chief executive officer by notice in the Gazette; and
- in the case of a code A1 or A driving licence, test an applicant according to the manual of the Corporation "K53 Practical driving test for motor vehicle drivers, Volume 3 - Motor Cycles" published by the chief executive officer by notice in the Gazette.